top of page

Shawnigan Lake Boys School

  • Writer: Shawnigan Lake Museum
    Shawnigan Lake Museum
  • 7 hours ago
  • 2 min read

Sometime around 1913-14, CW Lonsdale moved to Shawnigan Lake to become the

manager of the Strathcona Hotel. He soon lost interest in the hotel business and began to look for other opportunities. He tried to enlist in the Canadian Army, but was rejected for health reasons.

 

Lonsdale was a confident and intelligent man who felt that Canadians were, unlike himself, primitive and unschooled. He believed that with his background and education, he was a natural educator.  With that in mind, Lonsdale took over the Ravenhill property, in 1916, and opened Shawnigan Lake Preparatory School.

 


A small school for girls run by Miss Cole had been operating on the site from 1912. The girls and some of the Duncan boys that he had previously tutored became the core group for the first year at the new school.

 

The school grew quickly adding new programs and students. Lonsdale was the key to the success of the school - so much so, that the school was often referred to as Lonsdale’s School. Within a very short time, Lonsdale’s school had developed a reputation as one of the finest schools of its kind and had attained international status.

 

In the process, with his energy completely devoted to building the school, his marriage failed. Miss Mabel Lonsdale, C.W.’s sister, was one of several significant female influences who worked at the school during his time there.

 

In 1928, Lonsdale donated his personal assets in the school to a newly formed, not-for-profit corporation, Shawnigan Lake School, run by a Board of Governors. Lonsdale knew that this move was the only way to protect his school for the future.

 

C.W. Lonsdale remained headmaster until 1952. Shawnigan Lake School, now in its 110th year, continues to be a successful boarding school with an excellent reputation that attracts students from all over the world.

 
 
 

Comments


bottom of page